MIDTESOL offers two travel awards for assistance attending #MIDTESOL19. Please read the information below carefully before applying.
The Interest Section Travel Awards
Two (2) MIDTESOL members from each interest section will be awarded a check in the amount of $125 to help cover expenses to the MIDTESOL 2019 Conference September 27-28 at the Doubletree by Hilton Omaha Downtown in Omaha, Nebraska.
The six interest sections are
- Community College/Adult Education
- Educational Technology
- Higher Education/Teacher Training
- Intensive English Program (IEP)
- Program Administrators
To be eligible, applicants must be employed in the ESL profession but receive little or no funding from their employers for expenses to attend the conference.
To enter, please submit the following in writing:
- Name, Position, Employer(s)
- IS section applying for
- Statement verifying that little or no funding is received for professional development from employers
- Statement indicating whether you have previously been awarded any travel awards from MIDTESOL
- Statement verifying that you are a current member of MIDTESOL
- Statement verifying that you’re willing to volunteer a few hours at the conference
- A brief summary explaining the impact attending the MIDTESOL conference has had on you in the past, the benefits you will receive by attending this time, and any professional involvement you have had and/or contributions you have made to the field of TESOL (these may include professional organizations, publications, interest groups, or projects in your workplace/community)
Applications will be sent to Lindsey Simanowitz, Awards Chair, at email@example.com. The subject line of your email should read “#MIDTESOL19: IS Travel Award”.
Deadline is Friday, August 17, 2019. The Awards Committee and IS Interest Chairs will judge entries. Winners will be contacted by September 1.
Presenter Travel Awards
If you have been notified of acceptance to present at #MIDTESOL19, you are encouraged to apply for a Travel Award to help fund expenses. Up to three Travel Awards of $150 each will be granted. (Click here to submit a proposal.)
To apply, the following items must be submitted to Lindsey Simanowitz, Awards Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 16, 2019. The subject line of your email should read “#MIDTESOL19: Presenter Travel Award Submission.”
All application materials must be combined into one continuous document arranged in the order listed below:
- Contact information, including name, email, and institutional affiliation;
- Notification of proposal acceptance;
- A brief statement (approximately 300 words, 12-point and double-spaced) describing the benefit that attending and presenting at the MIDTESOL conference will bring to you and other ELT professionals in your community;
An account of any outside funding sources received for travel to the conference;
- A list of MIDTESOL Travel Awards received in the past; and
- An agreement to submit a report outlining your presentation within a month of the conference for publication in MIDTESOL Matters, the organization’s electronic newsletter.
You will receive confirmation from the Awards Chair that your submission has been received and then a notification if you are a winner by September 7. Submissions undergo blind peer review. Incomplete applications or applications that are not in compliance with the instructions listed above will not be considered out of fairness to all applicants.
In the event that there are more proposals deemed worthy than there is money available to fund them, preference will be given to the applicant who (1) does not have external support for travel to the conference and (2) has never before received a MIDTESOL Travel Award. Decisions made by reviewers are final.