Registrants to #MIDTESOL19 can also register to visit their choice of one of four Omaha Public Schools on Thursday morning, September 26.
School visits begin at 8:00 am with a brief overview of the selected tour at the Doubletree Hotel, followed by a shuttle ride to the school. Participants will return to the hotel by 12:30 pm. Cost for this pre-conference activity is $39.
For details and to register, visit the conference registration website.
Overview of the Omaha Public Schools Demographics (2017-2018)
- OPS K‐12 students currently participating in the ESL Program includes 8,590 ELLs or 17.1% of the K‐12 student population. About 25% of elementary and 9.3% of secondary students are ELLs.
- ESL services have been provided to 19,469 or 38.8 percent of the K‐12 student population.
- The ESL program has grown by almost 500 percent over the last 22 years. There was an increase in students served from 2016‐17 to 2017‐18 of about 18 percent.
- There are 19,577 students in the district who speak 119 different languages other than English in the home.
- There are 2,772 refugee students in the district coming from 15 different countries making up 5.5 percent of the K‐12 student population.
- The number of refugees is up 125 percent over the last eight years with the largest growth coming from Southeast Asian countries.